Silpakorn University is not only rich in history, but it is also considered one of Thailand’s top public universities. It was originally established as the school of fine arts by Corrado Ferroci (Prof. Silpa Bhirasri) in 1923, who under the commission of King Rama V1, was appointed to work as a sculptor at the school.
Initially assigned to teach Thai craftsmen the western technique and art of sculpture, Prof Silpa expanded his class to include members of the public who were also interested in learning as well. The artist later adopted Thai nationality and a Thai name known as Silpa Bhirasri.
By 1943 the school’s popularity led to it being given a new status as a University. Since then Silpakorn University has grown to offer fully fledged degree programs at both graduate and undergraduate level in all major fields of art and design, science and technology, health science, social sciences, management and music.
Two campuses in Bangkok
- WangTha Phra
One campus in Nakorn-Pathom
- Sanamchandra Palace
One campus in Petchburi province
Silpakorn is widely recognized as the leading Thai University in Fine Arts and Archaeology, even though it now includes many other faculties.
Silpakorn University consists of 12 Faculties, 1 Graduate school and 1 College:
Faculty of Painting, Sculpture and Graphic arts, Faculty of Architecture, Faculty of Archeology , Faculty of Decorative Arts, Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Pharmacy, Faculty of Engineering and Industrial Technology, Faculty of Animal Science and Agricultural Technology, Faculty of Music, Faculty of Management, Graduate School and Silpakorn University International College.